BC Assessment produces independent, uniform and efficient property assessments on an annual basis for all property owners in the province.
BC Assessment operates as an independent, provincial Crown corporation, governed by a Board of Directors and is accountable to the Government of B.C.
The President and CEO of BC Assessment is supported by an Executive Committee. The Board is appointed by the Lieutenant-Governor in Council.
BC Assessment's head office is located in Victoria. Our 15 area offices are situated in 10 regions in various geographic locations throughout British Columbia.
The mandate of BC Assessment is to establish and maintain uniform real property assessments throughout British Columbia in accordance with the Assessment Act. The Act also requires that BC Assessment produce annual rolls with assessments at market value.
Assessors determine the market value of land and improvements and enter those values on the Assessment Roll. For 95 per cent of all properties on the Roll, assessed value is the market value as of July 1. The remaining five per cent are subject to legislative restrictions.
BC Assessment is structured in the following units:
- Office of the President and CEO (including Communications and Government Relations)
- Business Innovation
- Field Operations
- Information and Technology Services
- People and Planning
Office of the President and CEO
- Overall management and co-ordination of BC Assessment's functions, operations, products and services
- Serving as the main point of contact for the Board of Directors, the Minister responsible for BC Assessment, the Office of the Premier, and other senior government officials and assessment bodies
- Corporate & Online Communications Department
- Producing print and web communications materials to help the public understand the property assessment process
- Building greater awareness for BC Assessment products and services with different communities
- Government Relations - liaison with Ministries of government on assessment issues
- Legal Services - legal support services, legislative and regulatory support services
- Coordination of contract administration for First Nations Assessment services
- Information policy initiatives
- Freedom of information and protection of privacy
- Internal audit
- Implementing strategic initiatives to transform BC Assessment
- Improving the business through innovation
- Quality assurance and business processes
- Research and development of assessment and valuation policy
- Development of assessment standards
- Performance of field operations for the entire province
- Non-market and market property assessment
- Assessment administration
- Valuation/appeal coordination
- Financial Services
Information and Technology Services
- Services Delivery
- Solutions Development
- Supporting the information and technology needs of both employees and external customers
- Centre of Excellence for information and technology management
People and Planning
- Talent management
- Labour relations
- Capacity and succession planning
- Culture change
- Employee and performance compensation
- Training and development
- Strategic Management: strategic and business planning, corporate reporting, corporate performamce management, Enterprise Risk Management
For more information about BC Assessment please email us at email@example.com or submit your question here.